A short three part program covering the knowledge and skills required to effectively use sensory techniques such as body wraps.
Learn all about the "What, "How" & Why" of Body Wraps
Instructor - Kathy Cascade
Three Short Lessons Delivered via Recorded Webinar - Available Now
As trainers we are always looking for effective and creative ways to help the dogs we work with learn appropriate behavior and live successfully in our human world. We are also modeling to our clients how to communicate and interact with their dogs in a humane, respectful, and caring manner. Typically, positive reward-based training techniques are very successful in shaping new behaviors. Unfortunately, not all dogs are receptive to training in the moment due to states of anxiety, fear, or over-arousal, which interfere with optimal learning. The goal of this course is help you learn about “sensory techniques,” which simply means the use of specific sensory input (tactile, proprioceptive) to give dogs new experiences. These types of sensory experiences can influence both emotional and physical states, resulting in a lowering of arousal and improved focus. We will start with a very simple, but often profound tool called the Body Wrap.
The Body Wrap for animals originated with the Tellington TTouch Method over 30 years ago and was the inspiration for the development of the Anxiety Wrap and the Thundershirt. As a Physical Therapist, I was also introduced to the concept of sensory techniques applied to children suffering from a variety of sensory processing disorders in the form of weighted vests and other light pressure garments.
This course is divided into three short lessons consisting of a Power Point presentation in a recorded webinar format. A 5 question self-assessment quiz will be available at the end of each lesson to enhance your learning and allow you to confirm your understanding and knowledge.
Lesson One will provide an overview of sensory concepts, particularly how tactile and proprioceptive input can influence the nervous system, often resulting in changes in posture, movement, and behavior. This section will also describe the purpose of using Body Wraps for dogs, proper fit and duration of wear, and the common situations where Body Wraps may be helpful in a home or other environment.
Lesson Two will provide a step by step process for introducing and applying three variations of TTouch Body Wraps, and how to address any concerns the dog may demonstrate. Several pictures and video clips are included to assist you in developing your skills.
Lesson Three will describe the use and application of Face and Head Wraps, and tips on the use of Thundershirts. There are several pictures and video clips to assist you in developing your skills.
When you register:
- You will receive a welcome document with detailed information about the program
- You receive immediate access to all three lessons as webinars and the PDF copies of each lessons presentations.
- You also receive links to each of the open-book online short self-check tests at the end of each module
- Upon completion of the program you also receive a link to the open-book online final program short test. The test can be taken more than once and requires a pass of 85%
- You will receive a video homework instruction document
- You will be required to complete and submit three short videos demonstrating your skills in applying a Half Body Wrap, a Full Body Wrap, and a Face Wrap on a dog
- Upon successful completion you will receive a completion certificate to proudly display as both a PDF and a graphic.
- Understand the basic concept of using sensory input to influence posture, body awareness, and behavioral responses.
- Identify multiple environmental contexts in which a Body Wrap or Thundershirt may be helpful.
- Identify multiple behavioral issues in which the use of a Body Wrap or Thundershirt typically has been used.
- Demonstrate the sequence of steps to introducing and applying a Half Body Wrap on a dog.
- Demonstrate the sequence of steps to introducing and applying a Full Body Wrap on a dog.
- Demonstrate the sequence of steps to introducing and applying a Face Wrap on a dog.
- Demonstrate appropriate body positioning while applying a Body Wrap or Face Wrap to avoid leaning over a dog and remaining safe.
- Understand and demonstrate the correct fit of a Body Wrap and Face Wrap.
- Learn how to work through initial concerns and how to help a dog overcome a freeze response.
- Understand the difference between containment and restraint.
- Each of the three lessons is completed with a short online open-book self check test.
- You will be required to complete and submit three short videos demonstrating your skills in applying a Half Body Wrap, a Full Body Wrap, and a Face Wrap on a dog.
- A separate document will provide all the details of how to complete this homework assignment and the criteria for passing.
- There is also a short open-book online self check test at the completion of the three lessons which requires a pass grade of 85%
- Tests can be taken more than once, they are part of the learning process
- You receive support from your faculty member and from your fellow students in our Facebook Student Common Room Group
Get Started Today! You Can Start & Finish in One Sitting!